Don and Mary Heiby started Heiby Oil Company on January 1, 1951 at 1244 S. Main St. serving fuel oil, farm and commercial customers in Logan County. Fuel oil was nine cents and gasoline was fifteen cents per gallon. Gasoline and fuel were delivered by rail cars from the refinery in Lima. What is now the Homecoming Restaurant and Tip Top Truck Plaza were built in the late 50's to serve customers using the new State Route 33.
The current property located at 1020 S. Detroit St. was purchased in the early 60's to allow for expansion and shared the rail line with the Ohio Farm Bureau.
On November 15, 1975, Heiby Oil Company was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Donald James to complement their operations in Lima, Ohio. Locations were added in Bellefontaine, Urbana and Mt. Victory, Ohio to accommodate the ever growing driving public.
The 80's were a time of growth for the Heiby Oil Company and Logan County as a whole. The addition of Honda of America and their affiliates saw an increase in our customer base and a boost to the local economy as well. At that time, fuel oil was fifty cents and gasoline was eighty cents.
On August 15, 1992, Heiby Oil Company entered into the propane market and saw our territory grow to five counties serving over 1,000 customers through multiple bulk locations.
On December 31, 2006, Mr. and Mrs. James sold their business to their oldest son Dave and today Heiby Oil Company continues to grow and is currently serving over 2,400 customers.